jessicahumphrey

Jess Reads

Music-loving feminist library assistant. Atheist tea addict & coffee guzzling cat-owner. Ravenclaw. INTJ.

Forensics: What Bugs, Burns, Prints, DNA and More Tell Us About Crime
Val McDermid

Need May Very Well Be the YA Psychological Thriller of the Year

— feeling shocked
NEED - Joelle Charbonneau

I received an advanced reader's copy in exchange for an honest review.

The premise behind this was utterly fascinating in the age of ever-present social media and online access, and I was immediately gripped by the story. I tore through the pages just so I could find out how far these kids would go to have their needs (read: wants) fulfilled. It grew very dark, very quickly. If someone is looking for a psychological thriller, this would definitely be a title I would consider recommending for that reader.

Some of the plot points did seem a little sensational, occasionally far-fetched, and sometimes overly convoluted than it needed to be. But it did feel very real during other moments. I was less enamored with the ending and had correctly predicted the primary instigator behind it all. It feels like a standalone book, but I wouldn't be surprised if a sequel or series may be squeezed out of the concept.

The set-up is gripping; I didn't want to put it down. However, the ending was less than impressive. I give NEED an average of 4 stars on a 5 star scale.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1367416118?book_show_action=false